Re: NTVDM.exe has encountered a problem

Jon,

Does your SETTINGS.DFL have a line like this:

; Autosave path
DF AOP=c:\

Many thanks to all for the suggestions. Changing the Settings.dfl line to AOT=0,0 seems to have worked!

I have had three NTVDM Xy4 windows with multiple files within them open overnight--no crash. I've run a browser via wireless, used CLIP.exe, cut-and-pasted and used the thesaurus--no crash. I even upgraded Firefox while XY was open. No crash. I rebooted and reopened multiple XY windows. No crash. It's downright miraculous.

But Carl, you mentioned the possibility of a workaround, presumably to get back Autosave. I unfortunately forgot what values I had in AOT before, although my other computers suggest they are AOT=5,10. (5 and 10 minutes were not, incidentally, when the NTVDM crashes happened. Sometimes it was before I'd opened any file.)

Vis-a-vis the other suggestions: no NTVDM besides Xy4, no Nota Bene, After my previous post,  looked into the error message that it was offering to send Microsoft and that said the TAME.exe had crashed, but I presume it's just because Tame was closely attached to Xy4.

I suspect the difference is XP Tablet, which supports a touchscreen and stylus and other things on this computer, which is something like a primordial  iPad without apps. It may have a process interfering with NTVDM.

If need be, I'lll get by without Autosave but its crash-free resurrection would be wonderful. Tweaks welcome.

Jon Pareles

Any thoughts on keeping some kind of Autosave function? Thanks.

Jon Pareles

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx