Re: Tabs in MS-Word

TBaehr@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> ≪ Perhaps Tim Baehr could shed light.... ≫
>
> Hi, there.
> The MasterSoft filters were proprietary to MasterSoft, so I can't shed a
> whole lot of light on the inner workings. OTOH, I do have some experience as
> a user -- putting together a newsletter with diskettes from various sources,
> including Mac disks.

Yeah, here at Columbia U. Press, I have to work with a lot of different
disks, including the Mac disks.

Leslie to Mac dude: "When you send the disk, please save the files as
RTF files."
Mac dude: "Huh, ok."
Leslie: Click on file/save as/ and then click to the RTF option and use
it.
Mac dude: "Huh, OK. Boyohboy I wish the old world used Macs. Why do you
morons keep using that Wintel garbage anyway?"
Leslie: "Hey, pal: I just call 'em I don't explain 'em. Anything
happening yet?"
Mac dude: "Hey yeah! It worked. Whoa, dude. I gotta garbage here now. I
think I'd better try again.
Leslie: "No, pard. That's what we want. Just save that to an HD floppy
and send it on."
Mac dude: "Hey, I could try to e-mail it . . . Do you have . . . "
Leslie: "Our Fed Ex number is: . . . "

> Your best bet, I think, is to convert Xy files to either RTF or WordPerfect
> 5.1 or 5.2. More stuff seems to get retained that way, and many programs can
> convert from these formats. Another tactic is to get Conversions Plus, which
> will convert to and from lots of formats (but not directly XyWrite; you still
> need RTF or WP as an intermediary). The W95 version is quite slick, if a bit
> quirky.

I couldn't agree more, Tim! That's definitely the way to go. A redlined
file in MsWeird will show only the inserts, and not the deletes. If you
convert from MsWeird to WP5.1, and then to XyWrite, you are golden. RTF
works fine, too; but beware--if you have footnotes, what should be MDNM
converts instead to MDSU. It is also wise to convert to 3+ rather than
XyWin or Xy4--you have fewer redundant deltas to deal with. Of course
you may well end up with a plethora of  deltas.

> Good luck!

Likewise

--
Leslie Bialler