Capturing keystrokes (not anthrax)

Simple question:

Is there a way to capture text from the command line?
I am well-versed on save gets, keyboards and lots of xpl, but have never
figured out to get a command (like a complicated search) into memory for a
save-get.

The reason I ask is I frequently have to save files to various different
subdirectories and too often have already written the command (such as
"st 3-jones.xtg") when I realize I have it slated for the wrong
subdirectory, then I have to blank the command line to change the
subdirectory, then start over.

In version 4 I am able to call up the last 10 commands that have already
been executed, using CTRL+Arrow up or down, but don't know how to get those
commands into a string BEFORE the command has been executed.

Thanks