Re: Voice Recognition for real?

** Reply to message from Michael Norman
on Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:27:50 -0500

> I can't "write" using Dragon, nor would I try. I feel I
> need to put those nouns, verbs complements and objects on the page
> with my hands, build the wall by placing the bricks in a neat row,
> one after the other, scraping and smoothing the mortar before I add
> another row.

Hey, that's what I was saying! The examples folks are offering
here are of note-taking and transcription, not *writing* (the
exceptions are, well, narrow and exceptional, like somebody with
no fingers). It reminds me of Capote's summary verdict on
Kerouac's unedited stream-of-consciousness texts: "That's not
writing, that's typing." XyWrite's executable isn't called
"Editor" for nothing. I remember training Via Voice to
backspace, delete, select text, move, copy, replace --
painfully, RIDICULOUSLY labored procedures. Waste of valuable
time.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx