can't reinstall

I recently had to replace my corrupted hard drive and now I'm unable to
reinstall xywrite on the new one.
Here are the particulars:
-- The only difference between the new hard drive and the old one is that
the new one has more memory.
-- I have the same version of everything which is Windows 95 and XY4
which I run in DOS.
-- I have XY4 on diskettes. I have tried installing in DOS: neither
"a:install" nor "a:/install" works....I get a bad command error message.
-- I've also tried installing at the "Safe Mode Command Prompt" with
A:\install and A:install. Neither works.
-- I can't imagine that it's relevant but in the spirit of full disclosure,
 I'm using a Fujitsu 530 series notebook

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nikki Meredith