Re: XyWrite and voice recognition

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:24:19 -0500, James D. Besser wrote:

>I'm curious: is anybody out there integrating (or trying
>to integrate) Xy / Dos with one of the portable voice recognition
>packages?
>
>Since I dictate about half my weekly writing output and
>transcribe myself, I bought Dragon's Naturally Mobile, which
>consists of the Naturally Speaking voice recognition
>software and a neat little digital recorder. When done
>recording, one links the little unit to the desktop with a serial
>cable and the dictation--up to 40 minutes worth--is
>downloaded and convered to text.

I hope it works better than the IBM ViaVoice software, which I tried as
part of a user test and seemed a bit useless -- marginally better than
OS/2 VTD. You have to slow down, and it really seems to do best for
office-memo types of language. As you say, as long as you have the
digital backup it could be pretty powerful, since even if you were
forced to back and re-edit the transcript you'd still only be using a
fraction of the time you would transcribing. Will be interested to hear
how it works for you.

-Rafe T.
raphaelt@xxxxxxxx
http://www.ray-field.com