Re: Upgrading Windows 2000

--- On Thu, 6/30/11, Paul Breeze  wrote:

>  My inclination is
> to switch to XP which will, I am sure, support all my
> hardware and software but are there any compelling arguments
> for buying Windows 7 instead?
>
> Any views welcome
>
> Paul Breeze

I like XP (as much as I'm ever going to like _any_ version
of Windows -- which is a lot like an improved W2K. Those
two are more alike than what came later, per what I've seen.
Vista was a definite "Skip It", and I haven't been interested
enough to really check out W7.

The main issues going forward are apt to be drivers and
support for later hardware, where that matters, and the whole
EOL thing. (The announced End Of product Life, after which
supposedly no more MS support, security patches, etc.) I take
this EOL with a nice-sized salt shaker. The EOL for W2K
came and went *a long time ago*, yet I did receive some
security fixes for it from Win Update as recently as a few
weeks ago. So, I'm not putting that much stock into the
scheduled 2014 (2012 ?) "demise" of XP. There are a lot of
humongous site licenses out there at major companies, and I
think they wind up exerting considerable drag on what MS
would prefer to do.

Overall, the business model for software is that you have to
keep rolling out new versions, no matter what unnecessary
bloatware it may become, and con or browbeat the customers
into buying it. Either that, or see if you can force a
subscription model, so they have to pay periodically to
remain licensed or supported. This might even be viable . . .
until the economy tanks.

 Jordan