Re: Backup

Alexander Hellemans wrote:

> Has anyone tried these portable hard drives that link to any computer via
> the USB port as a back-up? I get some junk mail, and one advertises a
> "Buslink portable USB hard drive" starting at $139.00 for 6.4 GB. The
> advantage would be that you could connect it to another computer if your
> computer breaks down.

No, but I've heard some good things about the ONSTREAM external backup drives.
They definitely come in SCSI, which would offer the highest performance (but you
might have to unplug any other external SCSI device, such as a SCSI scanner if
you have one, in order to accomodate the temp. connection . . . unless you have
more than one SCSI host adaptor in your computer, which not that many people
do), and probably in an IDE/ATAPI flavor as well. They use a proprietary,
high-capacity tape cartridge.

Anything based on USB is going to be so  s l o o o o w  you will probably be
driven to distraction.

Jordan