Re: WordPerfect 10

Right, Patricia!

WordPort--and I have the Windows version--still persists in converting
em dashes to space ndash space and it doesn't know what to do with smart
quotes, so it shrugs its shoulders and puts down an *. Worse, it does
the same with apostrophes and hard ellipses.

The future is in XML.

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> No, Gavin, WP 10 (i.e., Suite 2002) does NOT inlcude filters for XyWrite,
> even hidden deep in the installation menus, as 2000 did. A XyWrite file
> is ID'd as "unsupported format," though it you force it to read it as
> ASCII, it will, and at least get the hyphens right. WordPort--at least
> the old DOS version I have, and Leslie, I think it was, said a while ago
> that they refused to correct the error even when it was pointed out to
> them--makes mice feet of the ANSI characters (insists on "converting" em
> dashes to mini-hyphens and getting the open and close quotes all wrong).
> I think we're going to have to start insisting that people take files in
> PDF or HTML or XML. The standards people are pushing for XML, and as that
> is styles-based, it's really a better solution (converting styles has
> NEVER worked, from any word processor to any other).
> Patricia

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)