Re: Keyboards revisited

Am not aware of any "breaking-in" period required for the Unicomp keyboard -- if there's a difference in the action between now and purchase time some years, this former pianist never noted it.  No ringing tone either.  In effect, it's an IBM M keyboard.  Unicomp acquired Lexmark's keyboard division, which in turn came from the mothership, Big Blue.

A third party freeware utility, KeyTweak, allows permanent reassignment of keys, through Windows.

From: J R FOX
To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxx"
Sent: Saturday, July 9, 2016 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: Keyboards revisited

Thanks John.  I should try one of these -- just out of curiosity, if nothing else.
I had salted away a spare Omni and a spare Avant (now finally entered into service), but I can see where I may in due course have use for more, so it's good to have some suitable alternative.

It may have taken as much as two years of pounding away to get a new Omni to what I'd call a fully comfortable broken in feeling.  The Avant out of the box is almost excessively "crisp" in the key response, and I can hear a slight ringing tone from it as I type.  Takes some getting used to.  The Caps Lock -- at least -- may need to be relocated, from where I was accustomed to having it on the Omni.  As the Omni had provision for making these changes, I'm thinking the Avant must also.  Never had a Windows (or a 'Properties') key before.  I'm wondering if U2 offers any use of the extra keys, or if the Top Row function keys might be isolated for unique keyboard macro assignments ?  What with dual forks of VdosXy going now, this suddenly opens up all sorts of new variables.

   Jordan