RE: Logon

Carl Distefano wrote:

... . .
> It just occurred to me that the idea behind making the
> LOGON command RUN the .LOG files like XPL programs must
> have been that these .LOG files were supposed to be
> vehicles for loading different configurations
> for different users. In other words, instead of (or in
> addition to) putting the usual LOAD commands in
> STARTUP.INT, customized sets of these commands for
> different individuals could be collected in .LOG files,
> so that when a particular user logs on, his or her
> customized settings are loaded. I never heard of the
> LOGON command actually being used that way, but it
> certainly would be a viable and convenient use for it,
> even in a non-network setting. . . .

I did use ,LOG files that way on a network, as recommended
in the XyWrite 4.0 LAN Administrator's Guide. The startup.int
file set up default virtual drives common to the system
(including a mapping to a xy4\userlogs directory, and
finished with a "login" on a blanked command line.
Everything else was handled by the userlog files.
Worked fine.

Also, a loginname is used to identify authors of various \
changes in a redlined document.

Regards,

Paul Ambos
pambos@xxxxxxxx