Re: latest XY DOS

Lee Hickling asks about file conversion utilities. I thought there was now
no conversion utility that's heard of Xy other than Word for Word, whose
capabilities are out of date, but which Inso Corp has just bought and is
now thinking about.

One conversion utility ought to cost less than any one word processor, but
software pricing is topsy-turvy and none of Xy's vastly more popular rivals
is particularly expensive. The expense is of course irritating (especially
for those of us who think that Microsoft and Mr Gates have less need of our
money than we do), but it can probably be passed on. And the programs
don't even take an expensive amount of hard disk space, at least if one can
resist the temptation to install the "business graphics" and other extras.

If I were dealing with clients who, despite a simple explanation, declared
that it was too difficult to use version P of program Q to read in files
written in version P-a (producible with Word for Word for Xy), I'd listen
to them with an expression of great sympathy and concern. I'd use Xy and
WfWfXy to produce files in version P-a of Q, buy the latest version of Q,
use Q to read in and convert the files for the older version--and make very
sure to inflate my invoices so pass on the expense. I'd have no qualms
about profiting from my clients' truculent laziness.

Word for Word for Xy is so out of date--or the "upgrading" of word
processors is so frenzied--that something newer but still "old" might do
the job. If I only had Xy (actually I have others too) and were in Lee's
place, I might look in *Computer Shopper* for ads by discount merchants for
"Word 95", etc., or of course buy these from friends who'd upgraded.

Peter Evans