Re: TTG marketing woes

On 2-FEB-1996 03:24:36.6 xywrite said to LESLIE319
  >Hi Leslie,
  >You wrote:
  >>You can't do quick and dirty and make a machine that will allow Grandma
  >>to surf the net at the same time.
  >>  Well maybe you can, but for sure nobody's tried.

  >Ummm, actually you're right. My Mom (now 73 and a Grandma three times
  >over) tried a simple" DOS machine about 4 years ago. It came with
  >WordStar, which is quirky, but certainly no more difficult to learn with
  >its command keys than XyWrite with its command line, and she was totally
  >stymied, despite her strong desire to master it.

  Exactly!

  >Then last summer, she wanted to try again. Considering her experience
  >with DOS, I ordered her out a notebook (small, for low intimidation
  >factor) and had it loaded with Windows and MS Works. She took to the
  >GUI interface and trackball immediately. And she has been churning
  >out her poems for family and friends ever since. Now she's started
  >talking about just that--getting on to the internet. With the level of
  >hardware now available, who really cares if it's fast software or slow?
  >It works and it's easy and she'll get a great kick out of it.
  >So perhaps we shouldn't sell the GUI interface short just because of
  >our own "superior" preferences. Click and drag and drop (though it
  >may seem infantile or kludgy to some of us) really is easier for other
  >people. And frankly, I'm glad it's there for her.

  Good for her and I'm glad, too. I didn't mean to imply that such
machines and such software shouldn't be made, but merely that consumers
should have a choice. Some people want sedans with automatic shifts; others
want sports cars with five-speed stick shifts, and both markets are
accommodated. The same ought to prevail in Computer World, too.

--Leslie--
`[1;31;47mRainbow V 1.19.1 for Delphi - Registered