Re: available memory

--- flash  wrote:

> Carl, or whomever,
>
> I've been comparing available memory in Xy3 and Xy4
> with the same file
> open. Xy3 shows 400K, Xy4 105K. There is quite a lot
> of stuff going on
> in the background in Xy4 which I'll probably never
> need--such as math,
> load printer, redlining, box drawing, WYSIWYG,
> styles(?), image(?),
> GCI(?), scaling(?). Can I kill them? I use Xy only
> for bulk input;
> formatting and printing is done in PageMaker.
>
> Cheers,

If I'm remembering this right, selectively killing Xy
components was quite doable and straightforward in Xy3
(from Xy's "In Memory" screen, or whatever it was
actually called), but this feature went away in Xy4 .
. . unless there were some U2 manipulations I'm not
aware of.

Much more often in Win than under OS/2 | eCS, I am
surprised to see that loading a non-huge document
still brings up the dreaded "X" at the far right on
the Command Line. This suggests to me that I never
did optimize all the OS memory settings, which I could
and should have done, back in the day. At least a
couple times, I think Carl or Robert posted all the
recommended memory settings here. High time to look
those up and double-check.

 Jordan