Re: Beginner's question + Euroscript.

I would like to have one(!) simple, fast & efficient and basic editor like XY that lets me concentrate on pure simple text which, afterwards,
> by a keystroke and without much formating hasstle
could be converted into the desired format.
I don't think that's feasible: if you want beautiful output, you need to pay close attention to the input!
One other slightly offtopic remark. Please tell me - and I do consider this to be very likely - if I'm drawing wrong conclusions here: But after having tested Word against Latex against Xy4 and having compared the quality of the respective postscript printouts, the Xy4-Postscripts look without any doubt the best. I'm using the Times-postscript font in Xy4, Times New Roman in Word and Times (or alternatively twfonts which is supposed to be Times New Roman and looks very bad) in Latex. Could it be that the ASCII-Times font that Xy4 uses is typographically somehow superior?
I don't know anything about Word. But LaTeX can use any font. Its typesetting capabilities are far superior to those of XyWrite or any other "word processor". For example, it optimizes linebreaks over whole paragraphs. It also knows the "category" of every token, so that it can space them correctly. Thus, for example, when you type $x=1$, TeX knows that the equals sign is a binary operator, and thus leaves the right amount of space around it and allows linebreaks at the right points. XyWrite is a wonderful text editor, but it cannot produce high quality output. -- Martin J. Osborne http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne Theoretical Economics http://econtheory.org PoET http://theory.economics.utoronto.ca/poet