real men don't click

Patricia, et al,

Thanks for sending reprint posts on the Radnor emulator for Mac. I'll
give it a try. Printing is not an issue for me, as I use Xy only for
bulk text input. Printing and formatting I do in PageMaker/InDesign. PM6
has has a good Xy(3+) import filter, unfortunately not carried over into
InDesign. RTF exporting from Xy should sort that out, as both PM6 and
InDesign have RTF import capacity.

Cisco, by the way, has a CLI [that's 'command line interface'] similar
to Xy3+ or Unix (actually Cisco has a Unix kernel). One of my students
the other day came out with the line: "real men don't click". Should we
be recommending Xy to newbies? Well, Unix is not dead or dying. Neither
is Linux. The general 'dumbing down' mentioned in earlier posts refers,
I think, only to a certain segment of the market, what I call the
'secretary pool'. Professional networking, where Unix and Cisco are the
OSs which dominate, is still very much in the tradition of Xy: slim,
efficient programming, with command line interfaces. I realize those
aren't your typical end-users. But I think there _is_ an end-user
segment of the market which is fed up with Bimbows (in my opinion, not
so much an OS as a graphical user interface--"Ignore that man behind the
curtain!"); of course you can get Linux with buzzers and bells too, but
there are many Linux users who prefer CLI. For the likes of _them_, the
virtues of Xy must be evident.

On the other hand, what's the point of discussing it if we won't discuss
the question of (re-)distribution?