Win 7 64 Bit

When I got my Win 7 Pro computer I tried running Editor.exe in XP compatibility mode. No go. XyWrite is not a 32-bit program--apparently the minimum for Win 7. It appears to me that XP compatibility mode is not the same as having a virtual XP installed (which is the VMWare solution--I believe you need an XP disk to install it in VMWare.)

I'm running XY4 under DOSBox.

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

I ran Carl's Portable.PM in the old machine and copied that installation, as per Carl's
instructions.

http://www.freelists.org/post/xywrite/Portable-Xy4-made-easy

My XY4 works in one, un-scalable size with the Courier font. TAMEDos doesn't run in DOSBox, and I
haven't been able to change fonts with XY's Settings.dfl or anything else. You can change the window
size with DOSBox, but the letters blur. Or you can run fullscreen, also un-blurred.

I don't print from XY, so I can't speak to that.

Still, XY in DOSBox does just about everything I need (thesaurus, etc.) except Carl's invaluable
CLIP.exe program for exchanging info between XY and the Windows clipboard.  However, I did find
this one-way program that pastes from the Windows Clipboard INTO XY with the PAUSE key (apparently
not a customizable choice).
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=32714&sid=e28e387c9b2aff5e98e650778e715b13

For pasting XY to Windows I open the XY file in, sigh, Notepad, and cut-and-paste.

Carl had another method, using Nirsoft utilities, but...it was over my head.
http://www.nirsoft.net/

Search this mailing list for his advice on Nirsoft.

DOSBox has its own fairly transparent settings program, dosbox.conf. For instance, you may have to
change your display setting to VGAonly, and you can make opening DOSBox go directly to XY instead of
having to manually shell into XY each time you open DOSBox.  If you are interested in using
DOSBox I can forward you a copy of my tweaked DOSBox settings.

The good thing about DOSBox is that it reads your XY installation as the C: drive, but Windows can
also find it for the Notepad trick or other uses. You don't have to place XY inside a virtual
machine that regular Windows can't access.

When installing, I got some good ideas from Ed Mendelson's Wordperfect for DOS page, most of which I
have forgotten now.

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/

I haven't tried the VMWare method, so if you have an XP installation disc, that might work just as
well. But if not, DOSBox is effective.

Jon Pareles