Re: XY and on-line sessions

On Sat, 23 Mar 1996 09:11:55 -0500 (EST) you wrote:

>Andrew J. Glass:
>
>You imply a couple of interesting questions on which it would be good
>for someone to comment. P6 (Pentium Pro) is designed for pure 32-bit
>operation, more or less uncomplicated by being nice to 16-bit
>software. Tests with Windoze show it generally *slower* than P5 with
>the same program. It also won't work at all with a good many 16-bit
>programs.
>
>1. What operating system do you have in mind? I have not seen a
>single evaluation of P6 with OS/2 Warp. How does that combination
>perform with 16-bit programs? Anyone know?
>
>2. Has anybody tried XyDOS 4.017 on a Pentium Pro system? If so,
>with what OS?
>
>I wouldn't even think about a P6 computer without having answers to
>these questions, and no doubt others.
>
>--
>Nathan Sivin
>History and Sociology of Science
>University of Pennsylvania
>Philadelphia PA 19104-3325
>(nsivin@xxxxxxxx)

Nathan:

Since I use a 32-bit multi-threaded operating system (Warp Connect), P6
appears to be up my alley. Some message traffic on CompuServe indicates that
a 200Mz P6 running Warp blows away anything short of big-bucks Unix iron.

I haven't heard of any 16-bit apps that won't run on a P6 chip. They will
only run more slowly than they would on, say, a P5/150. But they would still
run a lot faster than, say a P5 75/90. So it's all relative. Anyway, I try
to stay away from stuff.

As you know, OS/2 puts XyWrite, or any other DOS application, in its own
virtual machine. I use Back & Forth, an orphaned task switcher program, that
lets me multitask quickly through my legacy DOS apps, while the whole
shebang is multitasking in the background.

- Andy