Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

Robert Holmgren wrote:
-- if you want to network 9x and NT boxes together, you need to be aware of one
quirk: the 9x box (and, for that matter, any other NT box) can logon to an NT
box without further ado as long as it presents valid credentials (a valid
Username/Password combo) for the target NT box; but 9x boxes won't allow other
boxes to log on to 9x unless the NT user has the *same* Username and Password
as the current user of the 9x box. In other words, by some wierd way of
thinking, 9x won't let you log in unless it's "really" you, the current user,
who has the "right" to log in. Utterly moronic, but there it is.
Aha! So that's what was happening on the rare occasions when I tried to
get files from one of the 98 boxes while working at the XP one.
!NOBODY! on a LAN should be allowed to be secretive --
> it's plain dangerous,
Secretive from the Admin, sure. But sometimes user A needs to keep things secret from users B and C. Or to let them SEE files but not change them. (And 9x is absolutely lousy at doing this. I'm safe, because no one else uses my PCs; but I should have definitely upgraded to 2k by now--or Linux--if anyone else had access to them.)
-- learn how to use NET.EXE. It's a very powerful utility, especially the NET
USE command. XySearch is full of examples of NET USE commands, and of UNC
commands.

Yes, indeed. And thanks for yet another lesson in how to do so.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx