Re: Printer help (again)

Leslie Savan wrote:

>    A week or two ago, I wrote a request similar to Nicholas
> Clifford's (below), about how to get my printer (an Epson Stylus Color 580)
> to work
> with Xywrite III+, now that TTG is gone and can no longer
> provide downloadable printer drivers. J.R. Fox wrote back an extremely
> helpful, detailed message (also below), but, alas, my computer guy was
> still not able to get it to work.
>   So I really have 3 questions now:
>    1) Does anyone have specific instructions for for getting Xywrite
> III+ (version 3.56) to print under Windows Millennium or Windows 2000?
> (2000 seems to be where the difficulties began. I have access to both it
> and Millennium.)

{snip}

Leslie,

I strongly suspect that ME or Win2K is the culprit here. (NT requires some
tinkering with the Environment Variable, in order to fully support certain
"legacy" programs, and they sure didn't make finding where to do this
particularly easy.) Unfortunately, I have no experience with either Win
version. Perhaps someone here who is familiar with these things will
volunteer for a real-time conference call when your computer consultant makes
his next visit . . . ?

If it was simply a printer issue, I might be able to loan you one that's more
appropriate, at least until you finished your deadline, even with the
attendant incovenience of cross-country shipping, etc. But, it is much more
likely to be a setup issue than a hardware one. Even if you were using a
generic driver, such as STRIP.PRN, you should still be able to get _some_
output from your printer. If you are getting _nothing_, then your print job
is not being recognized or properly routed. Once we get past *that*
roadblock, I could scrounge around for a workable driver.

In the meantime, why not post your STARTUP.INT file here ? (I don't know what
system, default, or control type files to ask about re your version of Win,
but someone here probably does.)

Jordan