Re: R: CR, LF -- XY4 & NB

> Replay to Russ W. Urqhart
>
> > Awhile back there was a discussion about converting the CR/LF pair back
> > and forth to a single LF. It was discussed that while this was possible
> > to convert a LF to a CR/LF pair in Xy4, it was not possible to do the
> > reverse, there a program was suggested that would do it.
> >
> > This had me thinking, as a NB user, that there was a way to have a
> > selected portion of text placed in the command line. Once there, i
> > thought, it should be easy to change either one, back and forth.

First, thanks for your reply!

> 1. When I need to convert CR/LF to CR only, the text containing CR only is
> not available, so it is not possible for me to select it.
> 2. If you write, in the command line, the correct command to do this
> replacement, XyW answers this message "Wilcard must be in the same order on
> both sides of
> a change" (I think this is a bug). The command works well if you do the
> reverse, i.e. if you swap the two arguments of the command.

Yeah, i was curious as to whether this was a bug or not. First, the CR, LF and CR/LF
"keys" as
recognized by Xy4 are really not "Wildcard" keys. They represent actual, specific codes
with values. I
think this is kind of a misnomer.

Secondly, i was able to not get the aforementioned message, by making sure i had the SAME
"Wildcard"
char in both the search & replacement sides. This of course makes such a change impossible.

> > When i tried to find this command on Xy4, i was unable to find it.
>
> 3. The command to put selected text in command line is ctrl-alt-shift-c
> 4. The commands to put CR/LF, CR, LF in command line are: ctrl-enter,
> alt-shift-r, alt-shift-f

Thanks, i ended up finding these the hard way.

As i've researched this more, i found out that NB calls the paste to command line function from one
of
its overlay files (" ov,c,p") and THIS overlay function pastes to the command line BOTH
the CR & LF codes
which can them be searched and replaced, etc.

I'm also investigating/just purchased the book "Xywrite 4 Macros" by Campbell & Allen.
It contains another
macro/pgm to do the same thing, but it doesn't recognize the CR/LF. I'll keep investigating.

In either case, let me recommend a program called minitrue. It's a DOS utility that, inaddition to
doing
a CR/LF => CR or LF, you can also use it to Search/Replace reg. exp. create a batch file to do it, or
use it to make the changes based on your input! Extrememly flexible, extremely fast. Loads of
features. It's out on the DOS BBS's. FYI

Russ