Running a BBS

  My experience in running a BBS is much like Bob Brody's. But then
this *is* a closed BBS, with a carefully controlled user base (83 users
at the moment) that I know I can trust. It used to be an open BBS, and
I spent way too much time doing the housekeeping chores. Now, I spend
probably an hour each week doing that.
  That's interesting about the costs. I'm surprised it costs an extra
$20 a month for electricity -- I didn't know it was that high. But
since the system is running on an old Z-151 that was amortized long
ago, my out-of-pocket costs are very limited. Twenty bucks a month is
cheap for a hobby; I am constantly amazed at the online whining of some
sysops for contributions to their hobby. (Of course I can and will
change my tune if the hard disk goes south and ask for contributions,
but I will do so in a genteel manner, with subtle engraved cards in
plain white envelopes, not breast-beating online kvetching.)