Re: OT: Net traffic jams?

Carl Distefano wrote:

the three elements "14:50:16", "-0500", and "(EST)" are in
apposition with each other (to use a term a grammarian will
understand ;-) ). 14:50:16 is local time, which is 5 hours behind
GMT, which is Eastern Standard Time. To translate the local time
into GMT, you need to SUBTRACT the second value from the first:

14:50:16 EST - (-05:00:00) = 14:50:16 + 05:00:00 = 19:50:16 GMT
Once again, perfectly simple once you understand it. So the second
number is always minus, and you add it or subtract it (and adding
minus is minus, but subtracting minus is plus; I do remember that much
math) depending on whether you're east or west of the Greenwich meridian?

It would appear so. The time stamps are showing long gaps between
the last hop from UPenn and arrival at the destination server. I'll
ask UPenn tech support about it. Stay tuned.
Eskimo's server farm in Washington state was offline for a while a week or so ago, thanks to a major wind storm that took out power lines all over the NW (this from Wendell, and also a column in one of my computer rags). But that should not affect communications between UPenn and NJ--much less Spain, as Manuel reported.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx