Re: Getting rid of the ruler

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Mon, 13 Nov
2000 15:09:41 -0500

-> I have stuck SWf onto the end of my abort key (ctrl-a). Since
-> the line comes up only on aborting a window, I hope this will
-> take care of it.

It may or may not, depending on whether you have default NW set to
close windows automatically when a file is ABorted (or STored).
Because, if the window closes, your SWf procedure is going to affect
the *adjacent* window, and if you've already taken the trouble to
resize that window, the full screen will be unwelcome. If you don't
often resize windows, this may not be much of an issue. If you do,
you'll want to make SWf conditional on there being no file or
directory open in the window that gets focus after the ABort command
is executed; in other words, rig it so that only an empty window
reverts to full screen. Using the Jumbo U2 XMACRO (extended macro)
facility, you can assign that functionality to Ctrl-A with the
following assignment in TABLE=CTRL:

30=NOXHJM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2x,m, ,B,X,a,b,/,n,v,Q,2,
[,I,F,[,V,A,$,W,S,],<,1,],COS,W,f,[,E,I,],NO

The above should be merged into your .KBD file as a single line; be
sure to delete the carriage return after "B,X,a,b,/,n,v,Q,2,";
otherwise, it will bomb.

P.S. You might think that the commas in funcs "B,X", "Q,2" and
"S,W" above are mistakes. They're not. The statement following
"x,m, ," is actually pseudo-XPL (plain text) that's being fed to
frame XMACRO -- XM, for short -- as its argument; the commas are
required as per normal .KBD file usage. Without the commas, the
argument looks like this:

BXab/nvQ2[IF[VA$WS]<1],SWf[EI]

And indeed you could execute it from the command line with
XM BXab/nvQ2[IF[VA$WS]<1],SWf[EI]!

So you see, the function of XMACRO is to take pseudo code, translate
it into real XPL, and then execute it. Frame PrsKbdArg enables
XMacro (or any other U2 frame) to be assigned to a key along with an
argument -- functionality that's missing from the native usage
nn=JM2,.,f,r,a,m,e,n,a,m,e,Q2, which makes no provision for sending
an argument to the executing frame.

Command HELP XMACRO and HELP PRSKBDARG for further
info.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx