Re: Linux & the real world

> > A word about Linux in general. This is a truly mind-boggling communal
open
> > source programming effort whose idealism is reminiscient of the '60's
peace
> > movement. However, for anyone who has to interact with the real
computing
> > world, it is incomplete and rough-edged. And, it is not for the faint of
> > heart. Vmware goes a long way to making Linux a usable operating system
for
> > purposes other than powering a website.
>

> That doesn't sound to me like Linux in 1999.
>
> I suggest subscribing to a non-advocacy mailing list like
> linux-list-request@xxxxxxxx ('subscribe' in the mesg body).
>
> There describe your 'real world of computing' & ask if Linux is for
> you. You'll get straight, professional comments.

I subscribe to about a dozen linux lists and I'll check into the one you
mention. I've been using Linux for about three years and I am an
enthusiastic advocate for it. But it is more a hobby than something I rely
upon to conduct my business.

My message did not clearly convey my point. I should have said the
commercial world using computing. I find that so much of the material that
I need to work with on a day-to-day basis can not be imported from MS-based
formats, processed by programs running uder Linux and then exported back to
MS-based formats in a non-transparent manner. Star Office, Applixware, even
Corel Wordperfect all run fine under Linux. It is just that to integrate
them into a work process that is primarily driven by Windows-based
participants is not something that, for me, is practical at this point.

However, I very much contend that running Linux is not for the faint of
heart. Having to recompile one's kernel or run a manual xsetup are not
consumer-friendly features. Or consider the internet where Linux plays an
important role in administering the infrastructure - as an end-user you
can't register a new account with ATT using Linux, you can only do it using
Win31/95/98. Then you can log on using Linux, but only after you have to
manually configured CHAP. That's the kind of quirk that you have to accept
with Linux in 1999.

Mark