Running a BBS

Henry, an organization I belong to was recently considering starting
its own BBS. The group decided not to, mainly because it seemed like an
expensive toy for the minority of computer literates among the members
but also because we just didn't know much about running a BBS. The
issue may come up again someday, so I thought I'd ask: do you know of
any good sources on the ins and outs of the BBS biz? How much of a
chore is running your board? How much time do you spend on it per week?
Is constant vigilance required? How much does it cost--and what does
the money go for? Dunno if this is sensitive info; maybe we should
conduct this privately. Any help appreciated in any case.
  Interested to see you bought DOS 5.0 and look forward to future
reports. Didn't quite follow what you had to do to finagle high memory
to get more lower RAM. Did you have to assign extended memory for use
as expanded? Did this require a separate utility program or did DOS 5.0
contain all you needed?
  Did you ever find an HP cartridge refiller in the north burbs?
  Sorry for all the questions, but you know how we journalists are.