Re: DesqView and XyWrite

> slower in terms of the one function I really care about--switching back
> and forth between XyWrite, my dialer and my modem. DesqView is proving to
> be instantaneous.

  What are you running for hardware? And how big a swap file do you have?
I've found that a swap file of 16 meg is minimum for my use (and
I have 8 meg of RAM) anything less is too slow, actually mine is
set a 20meg now. Did you have XY and your term package both set
"Yes" for background execution?

> I *do* see how Os/2 will superior for many users. But not for me;
> I don't need multi-tasking, I need a fast task switcher.

  Having run Desqview for a long, long time before switching to
OS/2, I have a difficult time believing that it is faster.
That's exactly the opposite of my experience. But then, how many
programs do you have loaded at the same time in each? And how
many of those are set for background execution? Seems to me that
you must have not spent the time to do a proper configuration of
OS/2 -- and, if you really don't want the icons, then just make
it like Desqview -- run tshell instead of the workplace shell,
you get the plain text menu, like DV, and the thing absolutely
screams even on a 386sx16 with 4 MB of RAM. There are other
options as well.

--

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx seaverh@xxxxxxxx
harmon@xxxxxxxx

  All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way
of the
Samurai is death --- so speak your mind now, or forever hold your
peace!