Re: NB 8 and U2

I followed Robert's instructions and most of my problems with NB 8 are
going away. I think these fixes are definitely going to be of general interest.
1. As Robert said, when you think NB has been killed, it may not have been
really killed. Get Process Explorer (free) at www.sysinternals.com. Run
PROCEXP and make sure an NB session killed via hitting the "x" box on the
title bar (as opposed to quitting NB normally) have actually removed the
process NTVDM which has WOW32 under it (highlight NTVDM in the upper frame
and you can look for WOW32.DLL in the lower pane; also you should set
PROCEXP's options under the View menu item to Show Lower Pane, and set
Lower Pane View to show DLLS). PROCEXP allows you easily to kill the
process by just clicking on a toolbar icon.

2. Remove from .kbd file:
a) any ascii 00 (this may be hard to locate, because searching in Xy with ctrl-shift 00 doesn't search for a one-byte ascii 00)
 b) any kbd assignment with an ampersand call to a program--e.g.:
  nn=&m
c) any JuMp to a U2 frame that uses an ampersand--replace it with alphanumeric characters.

As Robert wrote:
 Note that NBWin will _load_ a file with a true 1-byte Ascii-0 in it,
but it will crash if you try to SAve such a file. Which is a problem for U2,
although not a problem which ordinary users should ever encounter (3-byte
Ascii-zeroes are fine).
You can't start an NB frame with an ampersand. I know what you're
going to say. They tightened the rules, that's all; probably if Command
Override was ON, you could redefine the operation of functions -- or some such
logic. The point is, change the name to something alphanumeric, and it works.

More tips/fixes as they arise.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx