Re: "New" .PRN drivers for XY -- inkjet models

Steve Hayes wrote:

> I've seen people mention XyWrite 4.0 for DOS. I haven't seen that, and though
> I have disks for XyWrite for Windows, one of them was bad so I wasn't able to
> install it. I continue to use 3.57 for most of what I want, and I have
> Signature 1.0.

TTG probably stopped selling XY4DOS some time ago, but I'm not sure.

> One problem I have is that Lotus Wordpro, when exporting to XyWrite, puts in
> codes that 3.57 doesn't recognise, so I find it easier to export to Ascii.
> And for most of my uses I don't need the XyWrite conversion - just very
> occasionally.
>
> I use Wordpro to convert journal articles (usually in WordPerfect format) to
> HTML. and then use XyWrite to tidy up the resulting files before putting them
> on the web.

It depends what you need to do, conversion wise, but the set of conversion
filters that came with XY-4 (from MasterSoft, long out of business, and based on
their Word for Word suite), are generally of little use for other file formats
(going to or from XY) circa versions later than the early 1990s. The only
surviving competitor I know of is ACI, which puts out a conversion utility called
WordPort. I have this. It is better than nothing, but generally less than
satisfactory . . . at least in the tests I have run.

Jordan Fox