Re: U2 conflicts?

Robert,

> Myron, you seem to have a shifting set of problems. Originally, your problem was a
> SmartSet Help window which, instead of providing help,

Yes, I noticed the shift too, but the "new" problem seemed stable so
I didn't try to track down the cause. I *think* it might have to do
with
whether Enhance or SmartSet comes first in the merged U2 file. (I'm now
keeping
Ehanced code first, since it is shorter.)

> I got hold of ENHANCE by Tim Baehr (version 7/21/96), and installed the necessary
> frames to run his file {{5^^new}}. But I could see out of the gate that Carl hit
> the nail on the head the first time, because that string, "Can't reCALL UNTITLED
> file", appears in his frame {{5,recall}}. When I rename "recall" to
> "recallE" (rename both the frame itself AND the references or calls TO the frame
> that appear in other frames such as ^^new), the problem completely disappears and
> the Help screen displays correctly.
Hmmm. I thought I had done that (via search-and-replace), but perhaps
not.

> But now you say that you get an UNTITLED frame! Containing the same "Can't
> reCALL" statement?
It says/said simply: UNTITLED.
If I change (carefully!!!) all Enhance S/G 01's to 301's the problem
disappears.
(I decided to use the 300's for Tim's code and the 400's for anything I
wrote.)

> You're confusing me here. Why fiddle with the Stack code if you're not
> going to use it?
Probably just my confusion. I wanted to clear any "foreign" code out of
my
dlg and u2 codes. ...not necessary, I guess, but easy and safe to do...

> No! S/G 01 is not the problem. And the last thing that you want to do is
> renumber any of Tim's routines, intertwined as they are.
I realize the danger (and difficulty), but it was relatively easy to
increment
*all* S/G 01's by a few hundred.

> I truly wish that Tim had not re-issued the _entire_ DLG and MNU files, but
> simply those frames that he customized or altered or added afresh, so that
> we users who have heavily modified our own DLG and MNU files, could simply
> prepend his customized frames to our own, and get the benefit of his work
> *without losing* our own.
I agree. I've been adding my modifications (modest though they are) into
his
DLG file. But I've been unsuccessful at extracting his routines for the
file re-open utility, which I would like to add to XyWin.

> ... I have a little utility
> that I never published that goes through a Help file (U2, DLG, MNU,
> whatever) and discovers all the dupes, which can sometimes be elusive
> because of "*" wildcards. If you want to try it, I'll post it... Ciao

Yes. Please. Thank you. etc.   I think Recall and Wild are the only
overlapping names, but it would be nice to be sure.

Thanks for your help. As nearly as I can tell I have both sets of
utilities
running happily together. Wow! Right some good (as we say in the
Maritimes)!

Myron