RE: [Junk released by Allow List] Re: Missing descenders in Notabene

-----Original Message-----From: Caballero

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:

>>> I wonder if there would be demand for a XyWrite-like program that
had, or
>>> could have, rtf for its native format?

>> Absit! No, never...

>> But deliver me from the bloat of RTF as a native format.

> Dear Patricia,

> ...open a .DOC in TextWrangler. It is just an explosion of cruft, a
> barge of proprietary code that offends the eye, and it goes on for
pages.
> I'd never even dream of inserting it here. All I know how to do is
> destroy it.

> So let me praise RTF for relative simplicity. It's not so bad!

Well, yes. Anything compared to Word would look good.

But, as one who has worked with many forms of (raw) markup, RTF is one
of the most bloated of the plain text accessible languages. PDF is
probably more difficult, but RTF is ridiculous in the amount of (really
long strings of) code you have to repeat over and over for no good
reason that I can determine. Granted, nobody with a choice would edit
raw RTF, but that's the point...why would you want a plain text editor
built to work directly with RTF? But a non-plain text editor with
XyWrite's customization/macro abilities? Some day maybe...some day.

BrianH.