Re: Search across all open files

** Reply to note from Steve Crutchfield Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:36:50 -0400

> Which is about as long as we've been waiting for the promised "SmartWords"
> beta editor.

> ≪< Robert Holmgren  6/18 10:26a ≫> Next will be v099
> (or, if Carl gets there first, v100 -- a century).

Allow me to point out, that this is a pretty frequent update rate for a
concept that has only been in public play for about 2 1/2 years, with real
value constantly added; so I don't much enjoy to be joined in two sentences
with an outfit characterized by repeated, pathological, outright lies and
deception. As for U2, there are some interesting things just around
the corner. Windows users, for example, seem to want a System Clipboard
interface. We have one, and it works wonderfully well -- fast simple
powerful, the whole schmear -- Copy, Paste, XyWrite FullScreen|Windowed,
what have you (no Notepad kludge or any of that, just a simple command
"clip" and direct execution in a split second). Plus, outside
XyWrite, our facility extends the Clipboard's usefulness by allowing you to
send any text or file to the Clipboard with a simple DOS "COPY" instruction.
The goal, long-term, is to get these things running on all three (six?) major
platforms: OS/2 (our stalwart, a real operating system), the four various
and wierdly incompatible Microsoft Virii, and Linux. You issue the same
command on all platforms, and it just goes. Plus there's a lot more in the
works. We just need TIME! Both of us have real lives outside computing, and
U2 sucks up a lot of discretionary pro bono energy. Plus we like to test
extensively before we go public, so it may be a while before all this becomes
available.

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx