Re: netbooks, keyboards, old-fashioned Xy4 DOS

2. a cheap, super-light remappable keyboard.
I used to use remappable keyboards, then I discovered AutoHotkey. Any
XyWriter has to love this macro program--it's simple, logical, elegant, and
has a great Help file that actually helps!
You have one plain text file that contains the code for what you'd program
onto your keyboard. It runs across all your Win apps. The assignments range
from the trivial:

F1::Send Harry

to the simple:

^i::Send Regards,{ENTER}Harry{ENTER}

to the more complex:

#IfWinActive Microsoft Excel
!+a:: Send ^{Home}^+{END}^+{Up}
^+DOWN:: ; need to make sure smartboard is loaded, kill it, do the keystrokes, then reload it
  Run c:\smbrd32\Smtbrd32.exe
  Sleep 100
  Send ^0 ; invoke smartboard
  Sleep 100
  Send !Ft
  Sleep 200
  Send ^+{DOWN}
 Sleep 200
  Run c:\smbrd32\Smtbrd32.exe
Return
#IfWinActive

And, like for XPL programs, that just scratches the surface.
Then you can get a light keyboard very cheap and not be limited by whether you're using that or one built into your laptop, or borrowing a friend's keyboard.
I've been using Autohotkey for about 8 years, and have nothing but praise
for it. Free from autohotkey.com

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx