Running XyWrite under Windows XP

Hello all.

Im a journalist not a computer expert but Ive managed to get XyWrite (version 3.53) running satisfactorily under Windows XP. I managed this partly through scouring your very helpful messages so I thought I'd share with you how I managed it.

I did Start, Programs, command prompt, then changed directories to where I had Xywrite.

I then clicked on the tiny wee C box in the left hand corner, then Properties and Full Screen, OK.

I then did the Editor command and up she came.

Returning to desktop is a matter of Quit and then Exit

(at least im pretty sure this is how i did it - there might be some slight variation in this method.)

There is actually an improvement on my old machine, which ran Windows 98 and would occasionally seize up when i ran XyWrite along with a Windows program. I have put a command prompt on the desktop and XyWrite happily runs along with broadband etc and will happily switch back and forward from internet explorer, outlook express etc.

All this was very much by a trial and error method, lasting several hours. Properties and Full Screen didnt do the job in the normal mode. I went through the various stages of half-screen Xywrite, an inert Xywrite, a black screen with two cursors etc, which i read about in previous postings.

Only minor thing I havent really cracked is how to get XyWrite running at absolute full steam. it runs at about default speed i guess, but i like the fastest possible. i remember (i think) that this can be done by the command of

mode con: rate=32 delay=1

but when i type this in at the command line it doesnt seem to result in more speed. maybe somebody could advise whether i'm putting unnecessary spaces in that command line or the colons in the wrong place or whatever. ive tried it at c: and also at the xywrite directory; no luck yet.