Re: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

** Reply to message from Russ Urquhart  on Sun, 18
Dec 2005 20:17:59 -0600

> Both OS have a GUI. But Apple is more than just a GUI.

You're gonna leave us hanging? Meaning ... what? But maybe we should stick to
XyWrite. All I meant was that XP has an Apple look (if not feel) -- and it
does.

Still, since you want to be provocative, my understanding is that OS X is
really a cut-down, much modified BSD implementation, and that you can't just
take any Unix app and run it and expect it to work. *If* that's the case,
then... what's the point? Mostly what I know is that Apples treat users like
children. It's offensive. I watch experts manipulate them, and I can't
believe my eyes -- the rinky-dink of it all, the euphemisms, the curtain drawn
over everything that's actually happening. The big Apple boosters I meet, when
you push hard, you find that they are (maybe) experts at their chosen
applications, but actually they don't know diddly about computers. Most people
convert to Apples precisely because they are "sensible" (never because they're
excited by the prospect of programming them or bending them to individual needs
-- the *whole promise and premise of computers!*). "They just work!" is what
you hear (shorthand for "now I *really* don't need to know nuthin"). Well,
yeah! They control and integrate everything so tightly that of course they
work. All nine applications work real well. Except for the word processor.
Nobody I know likes it.

Nice graphics adapter, though.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx