Running a BBS

One factor groups considering setting up their own BBS don't consider
is having a *competent* and *committed* individual involved. Setting up
a decent BBS well is substantially more involved than setting up
typical application programs. Among other things, a ton of options are
involved...and you're dealing with a full-fledged *environment*.
   Given the total-environment nature of BBSes, things can and do go
wrong. (Murphy was also correct in his corollary that such things will
go wrong at the worst possible time!) BBSes do go down; and when that
happens, immediate attention is demanded. Unlike a stand-alone system,
turning it off and dealing with it at a more convenient time just won't
do.
   Those new to BBSing also tend to forget that this is a week-in,
week-out proposition. Some closed BBSes (such as this one) do manage to
close down for a week here and there, with appropriate advance notice.
But if the system is more open, that simply doesn't work.
   Lastly, a pet peeve (for me and many others) is a BBS which tests
the waters for a few months, then disappears. You're obviously
exploring the issue in advance. Great! I'd urge a commitment for the
long haul before plunging into the murky waters. (As Henry suggested in
a private msg when I first called, anyone who willingly sets up a BBS
after knowing all that's involved probably is crazy. So I suppose you
should evaluate yourself on that criterion too while making your
decision .)