Re: [Fwd: List of Known Macro Viruses: May 1997]

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Dorothy Day wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Harmon Seaver wrote:

> > Apparantly you didn't read the other posts in this thread, some of
> > which stated that such things were impossible -- a nonsensical but
> > common response to "email virus" warnings.

> And from the latest version of the CIAC Internet HOAX page, once again,

> 	"CIAC still affirms that reading E-mail, using typical mail
> 	agents, can not activate malicious code delivered in or with the
> 	message."

After 2 years I'm still simmering: I'd remarked to a Microsoft manager that
despite everything it _was_ possible to incur a viral infection via
e-mail -- meaning, of course, to add something like 'if the user is
tricked into running code, as by opening an attachment.'

The man interrupted me, angrily saying 'I'm from MICROSOFT, & I'm TELLING
you -- it CAN'T BE DONE!'

A few days later I learned about the bug in Microsoft Word, & pondered
the dictum that behind rage is always fear.

As for the Good News 'virus' & all its kind, I say again: the name is
not the thing. The subject line is _not_ a virus indicator.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle