Re: EOF markers in III+

At 03:40 PM 3/25/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I know this is probably an ancient question to everyone ... and it has
probably been covered previously, but I've been away from the list for some
time.

>Xywrite III+ and also 4, I believe, uses a Hex 1a as the End of File Marker
when saving. Is there any way of changing this - or deleting it. Although
Xywrite files in "pure ASCII", this particular marker shows up as a black
box when importing the resulting file into some other text editors or word
processors that do not, themselves, strip it as part of the import function.

>I'm guessing this is hard-coded into Editor.Exe.
>
>Any ideas or solutions please?
>
>Al Stewart

Yes, you just missed the latest iteration on it. The solution is to use the
DOS copy command with the right switches. That command is:
copy file1 /a file2 /b    file2 does not contain 1A

If you know XPL, you can convert the following pseudo-XPL into a pgm that
will run under XY4 to do it:

BX dos/nv /c copy  /a killhtm /bQ2
BX delete Q2
BX rename killhtm Q2
BC

A similar pgm for Xy3 would use the BC XC pair where this has BX Q2, and
you'd omit the "/nv" switch in the second line.

There is a more elegant way to do it without making the temporary file
"killhtm" but this is good enough, IMHO.

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx