Cursor ?

I'm out of town at the moment, running my travel copy of 3.55 (nicely compact,
fits on a single disk with room left over for all sorts of xy-util.s, etc.), on
a borrowed '386 rig that just has a basic generic EGA card installed. Whether
at the CM or in text, the INSERT cursor is invisible. Have tried fiddling with
the CT= (cursor contrast ?) values in the otherwise decent COLORS file I've
adapted for use here, which I load as the secondary "Prn" file. After a couple
dozen values tried, none seem to make much difference. What does CT= do, and
what is the trick to having a discernible cursor in each mode?

I can't recall seeing this problem with VGA-or-better video cards, but it would
be nice to know if there is a fix.