Re: Ultravision

Michael Norman  wrote:

> We've had a number of posts across the years on UV, and when it "fails,"
> sometimes the answer is the driver.

I remember now that one of the problems I was having with Windows 2000
was ANSI support. I couldn't get it to work, although I made sure that the
correct driver line was there in the CONFIG.NT file or whatever it was
called. I also use ANSI for other things I do in DOS and gave up on Win
2k partly because of that. But since Tom Hawley says that he has UV
running under Win 2k, it must be possible. Maybe I should have
experimented a bit more, with other ANSI drivers and such. Of course,
the hardware might also have been a factor, but this was on the same
laptop where UV ran fine under Windows 98.

> Others have solved UV screen problems --
> including blackouts, flashing gobbledygook and so forth -- by writing a
> simple batch to start the program:

Yes, I always start it with a batch file.

> PS: Anyone tried UV on a DESKTOP LCD?

I just did, on a generic PIII desktop with a PixelView Riva TNT2 video
card and an NEC 1810X 18-inch LCD monitor. The OS is Windows 98 SE
(Japanese edition), and the ANSI driver is the one that comes with Win98.
UV loaded okay, but there was some overscanning, i.e. the DOS screen was
slightly cut off at the edges. Pressing auto-adjust on the monitor
didn't bring it in correctly. I guess some fiddling with the manual controls
might help, but I didn't have the time to do it. This is not the machine
I normally work on, so UV is not a priority there.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx