Re: OT: Zone Alarm

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> Does anyone know if turning off the broadcasting of
> SSID provides good protection? Thanks.

Personally, I expect that it is a good first step and
worth doing . . . but I doubt it will actually make
your presence invisible, as some seem to think.

I was not really surprised to see all those WLANs pop
up. What _did_ surprise me were the flamboyant or
offensive names people nearby had chosen for them.
(As opposed to something nondescript, like "123xyz.")
  I mean, there's calling unwise attention to
yourself, and then there's taking out a gigantic neon
billboard ! If something ever winds up being
investigated by the relevant authorities, who do you
suppose will become first in line as "Persons of
Interest" ?

 Jordan