Re: Whereis (was Re: XyWrite orphaned)

Well, here's a thread and a half. Just to add to the fun, there is
another dos-based (command-line) WHEREIS, same name but an EXE file,
about 48Kb, which is(was?) shareware from a person called Keith
Ledbetter. The last version I paid for was 4.2a, and that was back in
1990. It takes all kinds of command line arguments, including commands
to act on the files it finds (like delete them, move them, etc.) It
works fine under any dos command line I've used, including os/2-dos
command lines. Doesn't seem to choke on network drives or huge drives,
and can be customized via environment variables to automatically include
or exclude certain drives from all searhes. It also searches into
certain (older) archived files.

I won't post the version I have, since it's the 'registered' version,
and it was a copyright product and maybe still is. Keith Ledbetter was a
prolific and pretty good DOS shareware author. His compuserve address
was 72240,121, and he was an ASP member. I invite interested parties who
can find the freely distributed version it to check it out.

Richard G. Minutillo
rgm@xxxxxxxx