Re: Re[2]: Xy on Mac

** Reply to message from Jonathan & Rachel Craft  on Tue,
13 Mar 2007 12:36:50 +0630

> We're on a dial up connection in Southeast Asia. Big attachments take
> a long time to download, and we pay for every minute. 585kb is pretty
> big on this kind of connection. Is there any way to have attachments
> over a certain size lopped off, and still receive the message?

Yes: read the list via the web using XySearch (updated daily at 0930 GMT):
 http://xywrite.org/
Nothing is downloaded to you, but you can upload any attachment that interests
you. You'd have to unsubscribe to the maillist, but you can still post (I
think -- in the past, anyone could post, whether they were on the list -- a
"member" -- or not).

Alternatively, open a Gmail or other server-based account, and subscribe to our
list at that address. Everything remains on the server; you view or DL only
the items you want, and for pictures you can usually see (small/fast)
thumbnails before deciding whether to DL the full file. If you want a Gmail
invitation, I'll send you one.

The Digest version may not include attachments either, although I've never
gotten it and don't know. Carl Distefano is the administrator/maintainer -- he
does know (xywwweb@xxxxxxxx).

There are lots of ways to skin this cat. Your ISP may be able to suppress
attachments over a certain size -- ask them.

In general, subscribers should exercise real prudence and judgment about file
size vs. general value to a reasonable number of members; but in the end they
should not feel inhibited about posting attachments. To put it bluntly, we
should calibrate attachment decisions to the level of service most members now
enjoy (broadband), not to the least-equipped among us. I wouldn't want to be
deprived of an important attachment simply because we're concerned that a few
members have dial-up and "pay for every minute" -- we ALL pay, one way or
another. 585Kb is nothing nowadays. Nonetheless, screenshots that simply
prove a point that can be made verbally are very optional on an Email list, I
think. Are pictures that much louder than words?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx