RE: Notes file (was "Highlighting a line")

Carl:

About the same time, I started using Smith Micro's Hot Line with XyWrite to
run my phone. I now have about 65,000 contacts in my five databases (US
Media, Universities, American Business, DC Area, and my personal file.

In addition, Hotline has the neat feature of dialing a number off the screen.
Thus, in my "Notes" files, also go back to 1986 or so and contain everything I
have been working on since then.

The result: very good records, many contacts, all findable in an instant. With
only a few exceptions, I have not dialed a phone since I first installed
Hotline.

Did a study for a telecom firm back around 1987. Found that automatic dialing
from XyWrite using Hotline, used by a three person CEO office saved almost
three person weeks a year in phone number lookup and dialing time.

The Windows version of Hotline was never as fast as the DOS version and a few
years ago, Smith Micro quit updating the area code numbers. Still use the
screen dialing and while I have tried almost every PIM on the market, found
none as fast and easy as Hotline. It looks like I will move to MS Outlook but
am worried about its great file overhead and lack of integral quick dialing
ease.

I have been constantly amazed at how people in this business do quite well
with the biggest tool we use (computers) and are almost oblivious of the other
tool--our telephones.

TR...