Re: XYWRITE digest 2295

Actually, Excel is a pretty good program and with it, I no longer use
XyWrite as much. The way to import a XyWrite file into Excel is to use
Data-->Import External Data-->Import Data, and then choose the XyWrite file
- probably should label it as *.txt first as it will recognize it
better. Then choose Tab delimited and follow the prompts and it will put
the data into a database-like format. From there it can be easily exported
to Access, SQL, or FoxPro. Haven't used Oracle but I assume it would also
work there.
I use FoxPro a lot also, and in that database language the command to
import an XyWrite file would be to open a dummy database with the
appropriate fields and then use the command:

APPEND FROM C:\*\*\*.TXT DELIMITED WITH TAB
That would do a direct dump of XyWrite data, assuming it is, in fact, delimited with tabs. If it isn't I just do a series of Global replaces in XyWrite first before converting.

Bill M