Re: waking up

Reply to note from "J. R. Fox"  Sun, 20 Jul 2003
11:02:57 -0800

> If one is going to make use of attachments, what's wrong with
> plain old Zip-files ?

Yikes. I'm going to quickly get out of the middle and let Dr.
Randall clarify what it is she was asking, but -- here's one last
stab: As I understood it, the question was not HOW to attach, or
WHETHER to attach, but WHAT to attach -- and not simply what to
attach, but what to attach that will allow a Xy-formatted document
to be reconstituted at the receiving end ASSUMING THAT the recipient
DOES NOT HAVE XyWrite. And I think Patricia had the answer: Convert
the Xy doc to RTF format (as opposed to MS-Word or any other WP
format) and attach the .RTF file. (Whether one Zips up the RTF file
before attaching it is neither here nor there.)

> Come to think of it, isn't there something akin to [E]ncode |
> Decode in U2 that can facillitate the xfer of a single
> document, intact ?

Not something akin to, ENCODE|DECODE themselves! But, again,
sending an in-line ENCODEd document is of no help if the recipient
does not have Xy and is therefore unable to DECODE it at the
receiving end.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx