Re: mystery .sav files

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Tue, 08 Aug 2006
03:54:59 -0400

> Each file consists of a little bit of XPL code, and the common denominator
> thereof is an (illicit?) ≪EX2≫.
>
> I see there is an ≪EX2≫ in the U2 v. 117 I am running (perhaps I
> accidentally introduced it) in the HIDE frame, which begins:

 is not illicit, just not documented. Same as , but used internally
by frame HIDE to demarcate nested levels of hidden data.

Frame HIDE is something that I think you are familiar with. The content of
hidden data is saved to S/G 739. If a certain threshold in utilization of
Save/Get memory (presently 14Kb) is surpassed, the data in S/G 739 is offloaded
to a disk file and 739 itself is emptied (to reduce memory consumption). The
filenaming format of the disk file is X739X#.SAV (# is incremented). Later,
the data in the disk file is retrieved, and the disk file is erased -- these
operations are performed by frames CACHE and UNCACHE; but occasionally,
precisely because you are utilizing too much memory, or because en error
occurs, or XyWrite crashes, that data/file is not retrieved/erased. Abandoned
files like that can pile up (and it's not good to have them around either,
because it causes a delay in caching data subsequently, i.e. in determining the
next available free X739X#.SAV filename).

Solution:
X739X#.SAV files are written to Editor's directory. So, in STARTUP.INT, toward
the top (i.e. before any possibility that a U2 routine in STARTUP itself might
need to CACHE data to disk), insert a line like this:

BX dos/nv/x/z /c del d:\Editor's_dir\X739X*.SAV Q2 ;*;

That will delete all abandoned X739X#.SAV files that have accumulated from
previous session(s).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx