Re: Xy-OS/2 shell question

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Fri, 11 Sep 98 13:12:33 -O500

> On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:44:03 EST, Robert Holmgren wrote:

>> When I run your command, I get a windowed session of E.EXE in the
>> foreground on the Desktop, and E.EXE is editing file NEWS. That's
>> what I would expect; that's what you're asking for. What do you
>> expect, or rather want, to happen, to "have it run just as I wish"?

> Something is odd in my system, and I've got
> to go through Smartset and see what it is. I'm no longer
> shifting focus to the full-screen CMD session

You're losing me. You're not _supposed_ to shift focus to any
full-screen CMD session! What program would be running in that full-screen
CMD session? Certainly not E.EXE! E.EXE only runs in a window...

> I seem to be returned to my Xy session, and e.exe is
> underneath everything else on the desktop (last in z-order?). Right
> now I've kludged the script to wait until it's started e.exe and then
> to SWitch to it, and that mostly seems to work.

Kludged what script? O2.INI? O2.INI is created on the fly each time you
execute O2.PM. It is hidden. You're not supposed to alter it, nor do I
see how you could do so. SW.CMD is not part of the launch process; you
simply issue the command "o2 e.exe filename", E.EXE launches, and there you
are staring at .

> ... come to think of it,
> I'm not even sure which O2.cmd file is being used.

There should only be _one_ copy of O2.CMD on your disk, in
:\OS2\MDOS. There is _nothing_ in O2.CMD to kludge or
customize. But you MUST reinstall Xy-OS/2 Shell _from scratch_ for it to
work properly each time you change the OS/2 BootDrive! And that means
_all_ the files: O2.PM, GO2.PM, RUNCMD.PM, etc. (the complete block of XPL
programming in your U2 file), O2.CMD, SW.CMD, SW.BAT, O2.BAT, the whole
schmear. You canNOT take the code from an older installation, or another
machine, and expect it to work. The install program determines the
BootDrive and sets these files up hands-off, locates them where they should
be, it's pretty easy. The only thing you need to do manually is integrate
the block of XPL code, _after_ processing by INSTALL.CMD, into U2 (delete
all the old code!).

N.B.: You *MUST* run INSTALL; it writes the files! Consult "Quick
Install" in XYOS2SHL.DOC.

And trust me: there is _no XPL customization_ to be done ANYWHERE except
within the nine User Variables in O2.PM. This is delicate code, & you'll
just bung things up by changing any part of it. Be sure you're using the
ZIP package dated 1/23/97, not the earlier June 96 package. It's at XyWWWeb
and on Hobbes in /pub/os2/apps/wp.

> ....also if I've got (don't even know if it's possible) multiple
> iterations in both my smartset.u2 file and a cmd or batch file, which
> one will pick things up first?

In U2, the first iteration of any program is the active iteration. So when
I merge new code into U2, I generally do so near the top of the file --
say, four or five routines down from the beginning. Carl's program HLIST
is handy for indicating any dupes, because it indexes all the routines in
U2 alphabetically. Good luck.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx