Re: XyWrite to Word

Quoting "Patricia M. Godfrey" :

> And even when I do have to do "fancy writing" (e.g., a handout with lots
> of heads and sample sentences, such as I had to do every year for the
> five years I gave a course on grammar for editors), Xy is much better
> than WP (and I assume WP is better than Word, since one can at least see
> what one is doing; i.e., what formats are applied where). SaveStyles and
> UseStyle (esp. if you create S/Gs to US) are likety-split compared to
> WP's tedious pull down the menu, scroll through the list,... And now
> that we can output to PDF! No contest.

I agree, Patricia, and it sounds as though you and I put word processors
through similar paces. With PDFs and the possibility of exchanging files
with publishers in RTF and plain-text formats, I've managed to do without
MS Word quite well. For sending static documents, the PDF is hard to beat.
 On the Mac, Preview is a huge improvement over the hulking, glacial Adobe
Reader.

Carlo

Carlo Caballero
Stanford Humanities Center
424 Santa Teresa St
Stanford, CA 94305 USA

tel. 650-724-8128
CarloC@xxxxxxxx

"'We did not waste the time rehearsing: Ysaÿe saw that he had an
experienced musician to deal with and was eager to have stopped playing
and start discussing the pancakes."	--Ginzburg, "Eugene Ysaÿe"