Re: Xy4 on 64 bit is saved!

>The "seamless" Xy4 can
access them by a drive letter. e.g., k:\pgm is recognized by Xy4-seamless
as referring to the folder that's on Win 7 (not on a virutal machine) and
deal with them normally.

While in Win 7, you could run Virtual PC 2007 and achieve better compatibility by running DOS (and
Windows 3.1):
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/08/19/running-virtual-pc-2007-on-windows-7.aspx

It is no big feat to achieve automated startup of DOS applications within this scenario. You could
have a link on your desktop that starts Virtual PC with the right application. I use this kind of
setup:
1) a link to MS Virtual PC executable (Microsoft Virtual PC.lnk)
2) a command that starts the virtual machine (DOS.vmc) without showing Virtual PC console:
"path\Microsoft Virtual PC.lnk" -pc DOS -singlepc -launch
(I use Tray command line to execute a "d" command (the above command), that is all,
folks!)
3) autoexec.bat customization (could start Win 3.1 which in turn could start a XY.PIF in win.ini
[windows] run= section or Xy directly from the DOS prompt).
This is fast and effortless, if not seamless. Folder sharing works ok. The setup is stable.

After all, the Integrated Mode in Windows Virtual PC is just a new name for "XP additions"
for a version of integrated Virtual PC technology in Win 7. See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/06/17/what-is-integrated-mode-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

See also "Three Modes of Windows XP Mode" (a tech summary):
http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/08/27/three-modes-of-windows-xp-mode.aspx

Best regards,
Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)